The Government of Alberta subsidizes housing to ensure Albertans have affordable housing options that meet their needs. See below for the four types of provincially-subsidized housing.

The government also provides a monthly benefit to Albertans with low income to subsidize their rent. To learn about eligibility and how to apply.

The Rent Supplement Program provides a subsidy to help make rental accommodation more affordable for individuals and families. See below for the two types of rent supplement benefits.

Under the Canada-Alberta Housing Benefit, the Governments of Canada and Alberta jointly provide funding for the Rent Supplement Program. 

The Government of Alberta also provides affordable housing units. See Affordable housing to find out about the available options, who is eligible and how to apply.

Utilities Consumer Advocate

The Office of the Utilities Consumer Advocate (UCA) was established in October 2003. The UCA's responsibilities are outlined in the Government Organization Act, Schedule 13.1 and the Utilities Consumer Advocate Regulation.

The UCA has a mandate to educate and mediate for Alberta’s small business, farm, and  residential electricity, natural gas and water consumers, and advocate for energy consumers.

  • We educate through a wide range of outreach and engagement activities.
  • We advocate by representing the interests of residential, farm, and small business consumers in regulatory proceedings.
  • We mediate disputes between consumers and utility companies and have a team of mediation officers who provide advice and information on energy-related issues like energy choice and charges on a utility bill.